Public service is a calling

From "365 Daily Treasures of Wisdom"

... Thou, Almighty, Who art with me, yea, before I am with Thee. To such then whom Thou commandest me to serve will I discover, not what I have been, but what I now am and what I yet am. But neither do I judge myself. Thus therefore I would be heard.
Saint Augustine (354-430A.D.)

Service is the highest calling of God. Jesus exhorts, "Love God with your whole heart, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself." Hence, the term for our own legislators as 'public servants'. All eligible candidates for- and holders of- public office feel a calling to serve their community; and by serving others they, creatures of God, serves themselves. By serving others we do not judge ourselves but speak to God.

+

No comments:

Post a Comment